Wednesday, December 12, 2007

IT'S A GIRL!!!

I love my sister. I hadn’t talked with her in quite a while and on Monday night we were able to have quite a lengthy phone conversation. She lives in Louisiana with her husband Rob and is pregnant with her first child. Side note - I am, and always have been, the last person to know ANYTHING in my family. I once found out that an Aunt had passed away a few weeks after the fact. That’s a topic for another day.. anyways, when I returned from Burningman in August I got a phone call from her one morning and she said “So, since you are always the last to know I figured I’d call you first…”. I immediately knew she was pregnant. I got super screamy girly excited. This will be the first offspring from my brother, sister, or I in my family. Two days ago I received a text in the morning from Rob saying that they found out it was a baby girl. Now, I've always wanted a little brother so I figured here was my shot (sorta) but truth be told I couldn’t be more excited either way. I’m going to have a niece and I'm stoked.

So aside from the newbie our conversation mostly surrounded our parents. A few weeks ago (in the middle of a Red Robin I might add) my mom and dad told me that they are moving back to the east coast. They are originally from the EC and majority of my family still lives there. I am the only one who lives in Washington. My dad is leaving right after Christmas and my mom will most likely stay here just long enough to sell off their business. They pretty much gave me a 20 day notice. I have kinda known that they would eventually move back, I just didn’t think it would be this soon. The inner child in me is scared and a little freaked out because I have always lived within a fairly close proximity of my parents and could see them whenever I wanted to, and I am slightly regretful at this point because that does not happen nearly as often as it should. I am fully aware that I am defiantly responsible for this. I also have a lot of unresolved ‘issues’ from my childhood that keep me a little emotionally distant and all of a sudden I now feel like I have a deadline to ‘fix’ things(which I’m not too stoked about). I keep reminding myself that just because they may physically be further away, they are not really ‘going’ anywhere. The adult in me…. that independent, already been on my own for 10 years, get over your shit woman, and stop being a selfish baby part… is pretty excited for them. All I want is for my parents to be happy, and I think this is a definite step in that direction. There is a great job opportunity awaiting my Dad (and he deserves it), they’ll get to regularly be around their families for the first time in 30 years, and I know that this is where they ultimately want to be. If this is what they want, then I want it for them.

Things are definitely changing all around for my family. I’m nervous yet anxious to see what happens… and of course im looking forward to meet this little chica!!!


4 comments:

Karen said...

How did I not know you had relatives here? I think it's time for a vacation, Missy.

Anonymous said...

ahhhhh congrats to you and your fam!!! you should start inundating your sister with potential baby names. one of my friends from high school recently had a baby (a boy) and me and another friend sent her baby names (along of the lines of Lars Leiderhosen and Duane Reade) every day for like 6 months.

The Zill said...

Oh they’ve already thought of names, but they’re not telling anybody. Apparently she is going to be named after some sign or landmark in Alaska. (they have a fondness for AK)

new york dactyl said...

i'll never be an aunt...bummer.

that's so exciting zill!! congrats to the new auntie.