Tuesday, December 4, 2007

1, 2, 3... BUCKWILD!!

In the off season of my championship kickball team, *ahem*, I fancy myself as a bit of a baller. A dodgeballer that is. This is my story…

Last fall was the first time my team and I had played in a dodgeball league together. We came, we played, we threw out our arms, we barely escaped being kicked out of the league…. you know!? The norm. Dodgeball, in case you were unaware, is a very serious thing. Or should I say that the players take it too seriously? There is nothing better than watching a grown ass man storm off the court when the ref tells him that he is out when he CLEARLY feels otherwise. People cheat, they get in verbal arguments, majority of the guys in the league find great pleasure in annihilating the girls on opposing teams, and I’ve personally found myself wanted to knock a few bitches out. Eh, I’m competitive when it comes to sports and so I am guilty and can sometimes fall into that ‘too serious’ mentality. Sue me. So anyways, we decided to join forces again this year and get a little BUCKWILD!! <--- that’s our team name (if you haven’t figured that out by now).

So the way it works is that 6 people start each game (3 guys and 3 girls), you play as many games as you can within a 15 minute period, and whichever team wins the most games wins the match. You get points per match you win and the larger the spread obviously the better. There are only two matches per night in the regular season but up to three in the playoffs, which were last night. We were ranked third seed and made it into the playoffs, but we would have to win our two scheduled matches in order to play in a third for the championship. Last week we had about a 40 minute break in between matches so naturally we thought it would be a great idea to leave, have a few Jager bombs, and come back. Phenomenal idea. We creamed the second team we played. Yesterday being playoffs and all we definitely needed to be on top of our game… so we met at Outback for a few rounds before heading into battle. Not sure that I can give credit to the JBs for the wins, but I found this highly amusing so it was worth mentioning.

Here’s how the night went down..


Match #1: BUCKWILD!! vs. Balls of Fury

They only had 7 people on their team which can kind sucks because you’re pretty much dodging, dipping, ducking, diving, and dodging the entire 15 minutes. Gets kind of tiresome. I know, I do it almost every match… last night included since we only had four girls the whole night *wipes brow*. ANYwho, we won the first game, and then lost the next three. Won two games to get it all tied, and that led us into sudden death. That game lasted a few minutes (which is along time in dodgeball) and it came down to me and one dude. He threw, almost hit me, I returned fire, and I totally got him out… *chuckles*. He’s probably pissed. Oh well... ON TO THE SEMI FINALS!!!


Match #2: BUCKWILD!! vs. 9/11 Truth Commission

*COUGH*cheaters*COUGH*

Now that I have that out of my system…. It came down to the wire with the same chain of events: 1-0, 1-3, 3-3, 4-3. We almost lost this one so a big ‘thank you’ is in order for the ‘high ball’ rule… you throw a ball too high twice in a match (like, the only place that ball is going to hit is someone’s head) and you’re out. It was 3 on 2 with their best guy in when he was called out for a high ball. YES!! The chick was easy to pick off after that (no offense chica). WE’RE GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!!.... wait, no… NEXT!!


Match #3: BUCKWILD!! vs. Team Dave

Every season there is a team made up of individuals who do not know eachother. They sign themselves up through the league and they are all placed on one team. Good way to meet people I suppose.. this was that team. I gotta hand it to these guys and gals, they played great together. They made smart moves, their girls were not afraid of catching (and did), and they were the most challenging/fun of the evening to play.

We must like the pressure of being behind or something because the SAME SHIT HAPPENED!! We won the first game, they won the three following, we came back to tie, and it all came down to one final game. This was for all the red rubber balls in the gym folks. It was down to their best guy and girl, my teammate, and I... (side note - this chick also played last year and single handled beat our entire team. It was 6 of us against her and she handed our asses to us). So there we were. Two on two. Now, I’d love to tell you that we won, but we did not. Im not exactly sure who picked who off first but it came down to one guy and me.. again.. only this time he caught my ball and I was out. Game over. Second place is bitter sweet but they deserved to win. I think its kinda cool that a group of people that didn’t even know one another came together and won. Bravo to them!! *sobs for us*

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm over it.


We made a few friends over the course of the season, mostly by sharing beers at a local pub afterwards, and we also made a few enemies, one of which being a ref (oops). All and all it was good times, I had fun, and although I would love to be able to add ‘Dodge Ball Champion’ to my list of accomplishments I am pleased that we took 2nd after only playing two seasons.


Good job, kids!! I’ll see you in a month for winter league. I’m calling it now… we’re winning this time around!!!


BUCKWILD!!, meet the internet... Internet, meet BUCKWILD!!



(we were having a Braveheart kind of evening)


Oh yeah, just in case any of you care - my arms, back, and ass (don’t ask why) are KILLING me today!!! Dodge ball is apparently the new full body work out. You should try it.

Anyone feel like volunteering and giving me a massage?

Ok.Bye.

2 comments:

chira said...

so is that aimee i see and perhaps matt? i can't tell.

i know the buckwild crew. i'm just trying to gifure out if any are on your team!

The Zill said...

There are BUCKWILD!! bowling and softball teams. Damian, Sonja, Sara, Charlie, and Warren are a few peeps you know off this particular team... although not everyone is pictured.