Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Are you ready for some football??

Well I’m not. Not really anyways. Not after the Hawks had their asses handed to them on Saturday. I could rant on about what a horrible game that was but I’ll refrain and get on with what I’m really festering over. Who the hell am I going to cheer for in the AFC championship game?? I’m fairly confident that either team could beat the winner of the NFC game, but I find myself at odds with who gets my vote.

I am a Charger by birth. I was born in San Diego and they, along with the Padres, will forever be my default teams. Last season my Hawks section nearly gave me the boot because I wore my ’86 Chargers t-shirt (how I still fit into it is beyond me) underneath my Seattle jersey and I caught myself cheering for SD as we clinched the win. <---- Did you see how I just did that?? I said ‘we’ as if I am still a Charger. I’m sure I will eventually be ousted as a true Hawks fan for such things. I have a soft spot. Give me a break. So here is my dilemma: I would really like to see first hand (via the television obviously) an undefeated season by the Patriots. They are now just two games away from accomplishing this but in order to do so they would have to beat my Chargers in Sundays AFC championship game. So who am I going to cheer for?? My ‘home’ team? Or the second team in NFL history to have a perfect regular and post season? At this point I’ll just have to wait until I’m watching the game and see who I end up screaming at the television for (because I do that sort of thing). If only they could play each other in the Super Bowl.

The two reasons why I don’t really care about the NFC game now that the Hawks are out: the Packers and the Giants.

Green Bay beat Seattle. Hard. Granted the Hawks didn’t really show up to play so I should be upset with them, but instead I’ve opted to point the finger elsewhere and blame the Packers on their own victory. Yeah, it would be nice to see Favre win in his last season (maybe?), and sure he’s a great quarterback with a laundry list of various awards, rings, and records under his belt… one of which includes most interceptions thrown ((had to throw that one out there (no pun intended). Really, who would want that??))… and he of course helped mold the Hawk’s own Hasselbeck into the QB he is today so I should be grateful… but despite all of these things, all of the reasons I should want to see him succeed, there is one particular thing keeping me from wanting to see the team succeed and advance to the Super Bowl… I’m bitter. *folds arms*

And then there are the Giants. It’s 2004 and Eli Manning is the number one draft pick by the San Diego Chargers… and then he refuses to play for them because they are not a good enough team. Excuse me? Aren’t you new?? Subsequently he was traded to the New York Giants. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of how/why the draft is set up the way it is don’t you think?? Hate to dislike an entire team because of one person, but the QB is the front man so the cards just fall that way some times.


**Small disclaimer - I am fully aware that none of these reasons are the most statistical way I could approach either of these games, but it is what it is.**

So here’s how I see it:

If the Patriots beat the Chargers, (notice I said ‘if’), then they will win the Super Bowl. I think they could beat both NY and Green Bay, but that they would have a more difficult time with the latter. Patriots are currently 0-1 against Green Bay in previous SBs, so their chance at redemption, along with the obvious potential 19-0 record, would add another interesting element. This team match up would be the most entertaining in my opinion, although one scenario that would be just RAD to see... NY and SD. Watching Eli be defeated by the team he refused to play for would be absolutely priceless.

I’ll be snowboarding all day on Sunday so the TiVo will be set and the games will be awaiting my return… so no one call me and say who won or you’ll ruin Christmas!!

I hate to say it, but football this year needs to just hurry up and end so I can focus more on my true love, basketball.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so with you on this, as I, too have love "hometown love" for more than one team. As they both went down in flames this season, here are my thoughts on the remaining teams:

@ Patriots - I would rather see some other team garner the prize of a perfect season. Just sayin'.

@ Giants - As a native of New Orleans, I support the Mannings - plus, no one gives them much credit, so they're sort of the underdog, which I like.

@ San Diego - No offense, but I'm not a huge fan.

@ Packers - I LOVE me some Brett Favre. Stand up guy. I like stand up guys.

Jessica Shannon said...

is this a bad time to admit i am a packer fan? don't hate me, my whole family is from wisconsin. i have no choice.

The Zill said...

the two of you may remain my friends simply because you're cheering for your home teams (or home town players)... otherwise it would be unforgivable.

Anonymous said...

i love football mostly because it's the only sport where i can even sort of claim allegiance to a team (Pats) based on hometown affiliation (CT has no other pro sports teams). the Pats are fun to root for because they always win, but that gets kind of boring, as Karen mentions.

but, CT residents tend to be NY team fans... which means the Giants, which is unfortunate because i HAAAAAAAATE Eli Manning... he can break his back and die for all i care. Karen, you're just living in the wrong part of the country - they WORSHIP the Mannings up here. I can't respect Brett Favre simply because he can't pronounce his own last name correctly.

so... give me some good old COLLEGE BASKETBALL in which case i live in one of the BEST states. WOOOHOOOOOO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!